Fight Inequality Alliance GLOBAL gathering
Background on the alliance
With inequality reaching levels not seen for a century there is a need for urgent action, but there is already cause for optimism. Around the world, extraordinary people are fighting inequality - from women garment workers in Bangladeshi factories fighting for the living wage; to youth activists in Zambia fighting for mining companies to pay their fair share of tax that funds public schools and health clinics; to indigenous communities fighting to prevent fossil fuel companies destroying their land.
The Fight Inequality Alliance is growing to stand in solidarity with their struggles. It’s building an alliance to bring struggles together and go further to counter the excessive concentration of power and wealth in the hands of a small elite and achieve a just, equal and sustainable world. See here for highlights from the first global week of action that took place from 14-20 January 2017 with 27 countries participating. As well as national and regional alliances building around the world, the alliance is undertaking a week of mobilisation targeting the World Bank and IMF to stop fuelling inequality in October, as well as preparing for the second week of action coinciding with the World Economic Forum in Davos in January 2018. This meeting falls at an important time as the alliance grows in its strength to create change.
The 2 day global gathering will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark. We are very happy to be hosted nationally by our member organisation ActionAid Denmark, who are arranging logistics/accommodation for us.
Please complete the online registration form for either/both meetings here.
The global and European gatherings will bring together existing members, those involved in convening national and regional alliances, existing networks, new organisations, artists/musicians, social movement leaders and friends who can provide challenge and support to our collective thinking from a wide range of countries.
The global gathering aims to set direction for the alliance for 2018 onwards (from national to regional to international level), build our national level alliance campaigning, develop our ways of organising and build stronger and more diverse relationships amongst us.
Detailed agendas for both meetings will be prepared shortly for input from participants.
Objectives (global gathering)
- Learn from our joint thinking and campaigning to date
- Plan for 2018 and beyond
- Develop our ways of organising as the alliance grows
- Engage new members/participants to feel ownership, a common sense of the theory of change.
Outcomes (global gathering)
- Ensure it is inclusive and diverse of movements and others
- Learn from our campaigning to date
- Build trust and stronger relationships
- Set direction for 2018 onwards – where + what do we do together?
- Challenge ourselves – with both some internal and external views
- Ensure space for building national level alliance campaigning
- Learn from each other about different organising and alliance building approaches + experiences