European Parliament's new hearing on Panama Papers: lawyers, accountants and bankers
Tomorrow morning the European Parliament’s PANA Committee will hold a hearing, focused on ‘The role of lawyers, accountants and bankers in the Panama Papers’.
Among the panel speakers who will give evidence, and who have already provided written evidence to the PANA Committee in anticipation of the hearing, are Professors Ronen Palen and Brooke Harrington, of GATJ’s partner Tax Justice Network.
You will be able to watch the public hearing from 9 AM Brussels time by following this link.
You will find the complete program and the written documents below.
Later this week, on Thursday 26 January, the PANA Committee will also meet in order to hold an initial discussion on the first working document of their report into money laundering, tax avoidance and tax evasion that the Committee will publish as part of its investigation. You can find a copy of the first working document here. The hearing on Thursday starts at 11.00 Brussels time, and you will be able to watch the live feed here.
Suggested hash-tags for during the hearings are:
PANA Committee hearing program:
‘The role of lawyers, accountants and bankers in the Panama Papers’
09.00 – 09.10 – Welcome by the PANA Chair
09.10 – 10:45 – First panel
· Professor Ronen Palan (Senior Advisor – Tax Justice Network)
· Professor Brooke Harrington (Associate Professor Copenhagen Business School)
· Daniel Hall (Director and co-head of Burford’s global corporate intelligence)
10:45 – 12:25 – Second panel
· Rupert Manhart (Chair of the Anti-money laundering Committee of The Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe)
· Wim Mijs (CEO, European Banking Federation)
· Roger Kaiser (Senior Policy Adviser, European Banking Federation)
· Professor Stef van Weeghel (Global Tax Policy Leader, PwC)
12:25 – 12:30 – Conclusions by the Pana Chair
Written evidence documents provided by the panel speakers are to be found here.